The extended user manual for all things PlayStation 4
Some of us have been PlayStation fans from day one, but this most recent generation of Sony’s infamous game console has really turned heads. The PlayStation 4 is not only a capable competitor in the market, the list of incredible games available for it is unrivaled. But there’s a whole lot more you can do with this console if you know where to look, and like all gadgets sometimes things go wrong and you need to troubleshoot a problem. So whether you’ve just bought your first PlayStation 4, or you just need a little help getting started, we’re here for you. In this article, we are going to document all of the resources you will need to ensure that your PlayStation experience is the best it possibly can be.
If you haven’t bought a PlayStation yet, we’ve also go the tools to help you out. Choosing your PlayStation might be difficult and if you ever plan on using a PlayStation VR you definitely want a PlayStation Pro. Aside from performance, you want to save money, and we want to help you do it. Buying products in bundles, especially if you already need the whole kit, can save you boatloads of money.
- Do you want a PlayStation 4 Classic, PlayStation 4 Pro or Slim PlayStation 4?
- The difference between a PS4 and a PS4 Slim
- Which PlayStation 4 is best for virtual reality (VR)?
- Save money buying these PlayStation Bundles!
Update March 8th – 5.50 is releasing as an official update and coming out of Beta
Today PlayStation is launching a new 5.50 update for their consoles that will be coming with a whole lot of cool new content. If you have recently bought a PS4 for your child you’re gonna absolutely love the new Play Time Management feature that will now allow you to control how long your child’s account will be allowed to play their games. It isn’t even just subject to "4 hours a day" as the controls are so extensive you can change the settings to something like, "My child is allowed to play between 4pm-7pm on Wednesday for 4 hours, and 2pm-8pm on Saturday for 3 hours!" Not just that, but these settings can be controlled from the parental account on your PlayStation, Sony’s website or even the PlayStation App on your phone!
Your library will be getting a few more tabs in the update as well, making it easier to sort out and find new content. If you’re a PlayStation VR user, now you don’t have to guess which titles are VR supported by their names or descriptions. After this update all VR supported devices will have a VR icon next to them in the PlayStation Store, allowing you to organize your searches that much better.
The Quick Menu is also getting some nifty updates including a drop-down friends list for you to see who’s online and send them messages or invitations directly from a shortcut option! On top of this PlayStation Music and Spotify users will get a shortcut option with the Square button for volume control. USB Music Players will be using the Triangle button for play/pause, and the Square button for volume control! On the topic of Quick Menu’s, there will be a new option to permanently delete your notifications! No more clutter!
Now, onto the Tournament page updates! In addition to now being able to import your pictures from USB to use as your Team Logo, tournament page background you can also use then for your PlayStation Home background! Also, you can now schedule events directly from the tournament page, and more easily filter between Team vs Team and 1v1 events.
Finally, in regards to the performance, PlayStation Pro is receiving an update called Supersampling Mode which will allow the PS4 Pro to run a new resolution scale that goes up to 2160p!
Get to know the best hardware
Just like buying a new car there is always the option to get your possessions in a "fully loaded" style. Well, from the controllers to the headsets we’ve got all the information you’ll need to deck out your gear for the PlayStation. These accessories and upgrades aren’t just to improve the visual of your command center, but you can also improve the performance.
Last but not least, let’s take a moment to appreciate all the save files to our favorite games. The ones that, even if you don’t play for a few years, you never want to lose. PlayStation used to have an interchangeable memory card, but now it’s all on their internal hard drive. So if you’re running out of memory but don’t want to lose anything, you can also check out this list for the best external hard drives.
- Where to buy the new PlayStation Gold Wireless headset
- Best PS4 decal kits
- Best portable monitors for your PS4
- The best PS4 controllers to own
- The best headset available for the PS4
- The best accessories available for your PS4
- The best travel accessories for your PS4
- The best charging stands for your accessories
- The best vertical docs for your PS4
- The best external hard drives for your PS4
- The best phone mounts for the PS4
The best fun to have on your PlayStation 4
While there are plenty of super cool apps to lose yourself in, one of the main reasons for owning a PS4 is for the games. As you know, exploring the PlayStation store from your console or even online can take hours and the only thing you’re going to do is wish your wallet was fatter. Well, you can save your time knowing that we’ve done most of the research for you! So instead of window shopping, check out these links here to get an idea of what people are already playing, and what you should be playing too!
Don’t forget to stay updated with our here on Android Central! Most of these articles are updated on a montly basis, so if you keep checking in we’re bound to have new content for you!
- Your favorite titles from PlayStation 2 that are available on PlayStation 4
- The best games for PlayStation 4 as of December 2017
- The best strategy games
- The best Indie games
- The best PS4 exclusives
- The best multiplayer games
- The best games for under $30
- The best free games
- Super cool demos you need to try out
- Every game that will release to PS4 this month
Recommendations when owning a PlayStation console
So you’ve got everything settled, you know how your system works and everything is set up just the way you like it. Now you’re wondering if there’s anything more you can do to make your PlayStation scream "YOU" just a little bit more. Check out these links to see what choices you have, and how to get them done!
- What is PlayStation Plus and why do I need it?
- Should you wall mount your PlayStation 4?
- Customizing the lights on your PlayStation Conrollers
- What you can get with a PlayStation Plus account
Help and how-tos
From troubleshooting to figuring out all the new commands for your console, we’ve got plenty of resources to help you out. Whether you’re a new PlayStation owner or just trying to figure something out you’ve never tried before, check out these links to see if any of these can help you out!
When buying a new PlayStation after already owning one
- How to transfer data from your old PlayStation 4 to your new PlayStation4
- How to set up parental controls
Navigating your PlayStation Store
- Should you buy physical games or digital games?
- How to make a PlayStation Store Wishlist
- How to use PlayStation gift cards
- How to download from the Japanese PlayStation Store
- How to organize your games
- How to delete your games
- How to change the theme of your PlayStation 4 home screen
- How to set up two-factor authentication
- How to eject a disk from your PS4
- How to use the share function on your PS4
- How to share your images off of PlayStation Network
- How to turn off auto-update for your games
- How to configure your audio controls
- How to wake up a PlayStation 4 with your phone
- The 5 most common controller issues
- How to fix ps4 controller jitters
- What to do when your PS4 Pro is running loud
- How to fix your PlayStation 4 from starting in Safe Mode
- How to deal with Blu-Ray problems
- How to get your PlayStation Move controllers to work with your Christmas tree (or any other crazy lights)
- How to fix your overheating issues
- How to use an external hard drive with your PS4
- How to enable HDR for PlayStation 4 on popular 4K TVs
Tips, Tricks and Everything you need to know!
- God of War: Everything you need to know!
- Detroit: Become Human – Everything you need to know!
- What to play after you beat Far Cry 5
- What to play after you beat God of War
Do you have any questions regarding your PlayStation 4? What helpful hints would you like to see more of? Let us know in the comment section below!
Updated May 2018: We’ve added more articles — from buying the new PlayStation Gold Wireless headset to how to control your controller jitters, we’ve got your back!
- PS4 vs. PS4 Slim vs. PS4 Pro: Which should you buy?
- PlayStation VR Review
- Playing PS4 games through your phone is awesome
May 31, 2018 at 04:32AM