First, it was Pixel phones only, then Essential joined the party (complete with its own slightly convoluted naming scheme), and now Sony Xperia XZ2 owners too can download and test out the Android P Beta 2/Developer Preview 3.
The Xperia XZ2 (H8216, H8266, and H8296 models) is one of a select few devices included in the testing phase for Android’s next major upgrade.
Those already running Beta 1 should receive an OTA prompt for the third developer preview. The latest build number is PDP-PKQ1.180513.001-10128.
As for the changes in the latest update, Sony has ironed out a number of pesky bugs, including some that caused crashes and critical system failures.
Here’s the full changelog:
- Small difference in max vs min volume during call
- Microphone stops working
- Wireless Charging on XZ2 not fully recognized
- SD-cards formatted with exFAT are not recognized
- Nightlight is not triggered correctly when using sunset to sunrise setting
- GPS not working on some units
- 4G+ can cause the modem to crash
- Tethering/Wifi Hotspot makes the system unstable
As is the case with any beta, there are more than likely more things that will break in the latest update to go along with the fixes, so be sure that you want to risk potentially damaging your device before you go sideloading any unstable preview builds.
For more on Android P, be sure to check out our deep dive article, and our hands-on video embedded above.
June 11, 2018 at 08:37AM